Physical Education Syllabus
- Grading in Physical Education at Diegueno is based upon quality and quantity of student participation, along with possible alternative testing measures. Each day a student has the opportunity to earn points for warm-ups, flexibility exercises, cardiovascular and strength training exercises, sport activities, timeliness, and preparation.
- An excused absence is treated as a missed opportunity for earned participation points and can be made up during the multiple P.E. make-up opportunities given during P.E. class. Students will lose the opportunity to earn points for any of the following :
-Not being dressed in standard PE uniform
-Non-participation or lack of effort in any portion of class
-Non-compliance with behavior expectations
-Not following directions/rules during game participation
-Gum chewing/Eating food during class
- Every 3 weeks, grades will be updated on Aeries. Please note that grades are not updated on a daily/weekly basis.
- Grading Scale:
F= 59.9% & below
All students are required to be on their number when the bell rings.
- Tardies 1 & 2 = teacher warning
- Tardies 3 & 4 = teacher assigned detention / parent notification
- Tardies 5 or more = student referral to Assistant Principal / Friday Night School
Doctor’s Notes vs. Parent Notes & Student Elect Non-Participation
- If a student has a doctor’s note releasing them from participation in physical education class, the points that the student would be earning daily will not be factored into their overall grade. (example: student misses 3 days of PE at 5 points per day, those 15 points will not be factored into their overall point total)
- If a student misses any assessments during their medical furlough, those assessments must be made up before a final grade can be issued.
- At any time when a student has a minor injury, an illness, or is simply not attending school for that day, points are not awarded for those portions of class in which the student does not participate. Parent notes are not needed, as students are capable of explaining their lack of participation. We are trying to teach our students to be responsible for their own decisions regarding their health and ability to participate. Therefore, at any time, any student can tell their teacher that they do not wish to participate in any or all of the day’s activities, with the understanding that any lost points must be made up before a final grade can be awarded. If a student does not make up the points for their missed participation, their final grade will reflect this, and may result in a lower grade for the class.
All students must use their own assigned lock and locker. All locks must be school issued. If a non school issued lock is found on a locker, it will be cut off immediately. Students are responsible for; learning how to open a school issued combination lock, using and taking care of the lock throughout the school year and returning the lock at the end of the school year. Any lost lock will be charged to the student at the cost of $8.00. This must be paid to the office before a final grade will be given.
Locker Room Expectations
- The locker rooms are to be used only to get dressed in PE uniforms and to prepare for class participation.
- Locker rooms should not be used for socializing, horseplay, eating/drinking, or any other purpose than to change clothing.
- Phone use or picture taking is prohibited in the locker rooms at all times.
Assessments (Timed Miles/Superlaps/Strength)
- On a daily basis, each student is assessed on the following:
2) Cardiovascular exercise effort
3) Flexibility execution and knowledge of human anatomy
4) Strength training execution and knowledge of proper form
5) Proper execution and understanding of unit game play according to the rules and regulations set forth by each teacher
- Timed Miles: are performed once a month and conducted on the track. After students have established their fastest mile time, they need to be within a specific time range to demonstrate a proper training heart range on each subsequent mile.
- Superlaps: are performed on single period days (usually Mondays) and take place on the Diegueno Campus with a brief portion in Sun Vista Park. Students must be within a specific time range of their fastest mile time to receive full credit.
- Strength: Students will perform strength training exercises including but not limited to push-ups, and sit-ups.
- Throughout the year, your student will be exposed to basic yoga techniques. This is done in a non-religious way. If you would like your student to participate in an alternative activity, please let the teacher know.
- Throughout the year, PE teachers will often post to the Diegueno Physical Education Instagram account @dnophysed. Please follow the account for updates and to better understand what we are doing in class. If you would prefer that your son or daughter's photo NOT be posted on that Instagram account (or on the Diegueno Facebook page), please send an individual email to your student's teacher.
Thanks and looking forward to a great year!